Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oxford Floods - Probably the last installment

Ok, you know when you think about something, talk about something, dream about something for days on end and you become tired of it. Well I am at that point. I find all this flooding fascinating but I'm lucky and not effected by it in any way except my bus takes a lot longer to get home. Some people can't sleep in their own bed, and that's not the worst that they face.

I did my 'final' walk round the flooding near us and yes it was the worst I had seen since this whole thing started. There is a very community feel in the streets (partly because there aren't many tourists here, with no trains running and two major roads into Oxford cut off) lots of people walking around in gumboots (Wellingtons) holding work shoes in their hands. On my walk I went to Botley road where most people have been evacuated from. The 'puddle' in the road had turned to a lake and I couldn't get very far. The emergency services were camped out and the local radio station were giving away free hot dogs, I didn't have one, they weren't for me. There were lots of fire men about and lots of sandbags, but outnumbering them all was the sheer volume of water.

This video on the BBC website really does show the vast amount of water that needs to go away, but probably wont for days, there's a whole lot more to come down the river and pass on down to Wallingford and Reading and finally London, it could be weeks really.

So unless anything really exciting happens at home (Oxford) or at work (Wallingford) this is the last of my Oxford Floods update. A big thank-you to all the people who expressed their concern for Peter and I, we are fine. The only effect this is really having on us is our trips to and from work to home.

No comments: