Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Prague

Ok so I'm a little behind in my posts again! A few big changes at work, but I'll come to those in good time :-)

So Prague...

We decided to go for a long weekend and ended up with a whole four days there, which as it turned out was about a day too long as once again it slipped my mind that museums etc are closed on Mondays in Europe.

So anyway, we arrive and found our hotel (not that hard as we were delivered to it by a hotel shuttle!) and set out to explore straight away. We stayed within walking distance of the old town and so it made getting around easy but with a lot of walking. So on our first day we pretty much just walked around getting a feel for where things were. For those that don't know I don't normally drink coffee may be surprised to know that I now drink Mocha's as I had a really nice one in Prague. Anyway, on the evening of the first night we were there we went to see some musicians, playing some music in some building (This is exactly why I shouldn't wait four months to update my blog!) I think it was Mozart and I think it was in the town hall. The evening ended with an evening stroll to the main square with a bonus show of some fireworks.

Day 2 we went and explored the other side of the river again with a lot of walking after a ride in the Petřín funicular we arrived at the top of Petřín hill and walked to the Petřín lookout tower which is a mini Eiffel tower (very strange) and again a long walk to the top. It was well worth is as the views over Prague were lovely. We then had an extremely healthy lunch of sausage with tomato sauce and mustard (yum!) while watching a marble tournament, yep how civilised to play marbles on a Saturday morning with your fellow marble players, ages ranged from young to old. I never really knew how to play proper marbles, now I do! After that it was another walk (are you getting the picture that this was a major walking holiday!) via a place that had books with covers made of wood (as in actual wood not some wood derivative) of the tree that the book was about. Then finally it was on to explore the castle area, which was very old and cool.

Day 3 we ventured out of town to go to Hrad Karlštejn which is a far more impressive castle outside of Prague. Again it was a bit of a walk to the castle but well worth the effort. Our tour also included lunch in a traditional Czech restaurant, unfortunately we all had to sit inside and it was a lovely day. The food was lovely though. Back in Prague, we went for a late afternoon stroll and watched some people out on the boats on the river and then found somewhere to eat dinner.

Monday, day 4 we were at a bit of a loss with what to do really so it was out with the lonely planet to check we really had explored all areas that we wanted to and we discovered that we hadn't been to the Jewish quarter, so after a little exploring we found the area and had a look around and had a very very yummy lunch in a slightly posh place. On the table next to us were a group of four ladies who obviously had a fair bit of coin as one of them seemed to be their private guide. I was greatly amused by watching the waiters try to change some of the light bulbs over the bar. After that it was back to the UK.

And of course our photos are here

No comments: