On Saturday Nivi set off on the Oxford Walking Tour to find out all the hidden secrets of Oxford. After that we had a spot of lunch and did a little bit of shopping, then it was back home for a cup of tea and to wait for Peter to return from recording the band's next demo CD.
So it's still raining a fair bit in the evening and I think we were all feeling a little tired and rather uninspired to go out in the rain so we are just sitting around at home and chatting about the rising stream out side our place and then my cell phone rings and I listen to a pre recorded Flood Warning. Something along the lines of '...A severe flood warning has been issued for your area...' I can't quite recall the entire message but this is what the Environment agency website has to say about Severe Flood Warnings, "Severe flooding expected. Imminent danger to life and property. Act now!"
Now given that we are a first floor apartment that's not such a major concern, we are probably well out of the way of the flood water, we may not get out of our building but we are out of the way. However that didn't stop me having a little panic attack. Once Peter and I had been for a LONG walk round Oxford to get me breathing right we headed home for some sleep.
On Sunday we awoke to a lovely clear day and not much of a hint of rain. We watched the start of the F1 and for the first time Peter's team we leading the race for a couple of laps. Admittedly it was by pure chance and under a safety car. After that Nivi and I headed of to the Pitt Rivers Museum and I will say no more. Peter and I will head back there soon and I will leave it to Nivi to tell her version of the visit.
Once I had made sure Nivi made it back to the bus back to London I came home and checked the flooding situation. A few towns upstream of Oxford had flooded with the worse still to come for them. The peak of the flood was still yet to hit Oxford. When Peter got home we went for a walk around out place to see the extent of the flooding thus far.
This photo shows the water levels in the stream outside our place. The photo on the left was taken at 8:12am on Sunday and the photo on the right was taken at 8:43am on Monday. Those bricks are about 10cm high so that's a rise of 20cm in 24hrs. The channel is about 10m wide.
This is a path upstream of our place where the water has already started to seep through the wall, probably through the drainage holes.Some flooding downstream of the lock.
The flooded Thames Path with Peter inspecting the rising water level.
A sad sight around Osney Island, certainly looks like lots of people have done this before.
Botley Road allotments underwater.
And just in case you felt like playing some water golf...
I have today off work so I'm just about to head out and about and see what's happening today. From a purely engineering side of things, it's pretty interesting, but I really feel for all the people that already have been evacuated from their homes and face a huge amount of damage. To give you a little bit of an idea of where we are in relation to all this...
We live about where the H is for Hall, and where all these photos were from was Osney. Note: this is the extreme flood map, not the predicted.
3 comments:
YIKES! Scary stuff... hope you guys are ok, hang in there...
I exactly understand how you're feeling - it is easy to put your engineer/hydrology hat on and see how interesting it all is :-)
Ay caramba! Scary stuff indeed! I spose skipping off on sunday meant that I didn't really see the worst of it. Glad that you guys are on the first floor!
PS I have proof of me in oxford, but unfortunately dont think I have any pics of both/the 3 of us and intend to do post on my blog soon.
PPS Thank you both for being such wonderful hosts again. :)
Post a Comment