Monday, July 03, 2006

Dorchester


England are out of the world cup and the country was in mourning pretty much all day Sunday. It was also about 32 degrees in Oxford so Peter and I trundled off to Dorchester to go for a walk (yes we are pretty smart!) The reason we were smart was we changed the walk from an all out in the open 4hr trek to a half out in the open, half in woods 2hr trek.

We went to a little village called Dorchester about halfway between Oxford and Wallingford (where I work). It is probably most famous for it's abbey which was also the location of the start of the Christian faith in England in 695. The abbey was lovely and cool, so we stayed a while in there and also had the pleasure of hearing the church bells ringing. The bells here have a protection order on them so that if the get damaged, they can only be repaired and they can not be separated. Don't have any photos of this one as we just took a video and I have no idea how to load that one up!

On our little walk we went up to 'the clumps' which I found out later is quite a popular spot for artists. There was nothing overly spectacular about our walk so I'll just put up a few shots. It was quite a hazy day as you may see!

Lovely goldern wheat field with 'the clumps' in the background.

The view from 'the clumps' towards Dorchester. The Abbey is the big building with the large red roof.

No comments: